Monday 9 January 2012

Wrapping up pt 1

It has been a while since I wrote my last blog.  I have been abroad in the world and my computer has been acting up, so I have not been able to detail my adventures.  I am finally back in the UK now and while I am not existing on normal times I do have a little time to fill in what I did and where I went.  I am afraid my holiday to the US was not some fantastic adventure, but perhaps there are enough things that are either weird or interesting that will make the next couple of entries worth reading.

I'll start with my departure from Korea, in logical chronological order.

The day that I finished up my contract my co-teacher had the various people from the appliances and such turn up so that everything could be turned off and what-not.  The plan was for everything to last one extra day, because I had planned to stay at my apartament one extra day, so that I could close up the various accounts that I had with banks and such.  However as it turned out they just cut everything off right there and then and I paid up my bills.  This meant that there was no gas to heat my floor, nor any hot water, my tv connection was lost as was the internet.  All I had left was a bit of electricity and the very sparse room.  So, with very little choice remaining I had my meal out that night with some of the guys that lived in my town.  We stayedout for a little while, which of course I found favourable.

Earlier in the day I had given out most of the stuff I had accumulated over the year to the remaining whiteys in my town.  There was not all that much, but there was enough to make life just that bit easier and more comfortable.

The next day I had a choice, I could either wait until late day and allow some of my co-teachers to drive me down to Sasang and find me a motel to stay in, or else I could head out during the day and go down by myself across the subway system, but that would mean carting all of my stuff around on my own.  So I chose the former. 

However that meant that I would have to go into Busan and move and exchange money and then close my accounts and then head back to my apartament.  It didn't take all that long really and then, once I was done I grabbed some food and then headed back.  I only had to wait about 2-3 hours before my co-teachers came to get me, so I just watched some TV shows I have saved to my hard drive.

The drive down to Sasang was a little boring, but at one point they did get lost and we ended up almost in Gimhae, which I had no desire to stay in, so after some confusion we got back on track and then we had the fun activity of finding somewhere for me to stay.

I had no intention of staying in a fancy hotel for one night and pay a huge price for, instead they found me a motel, which in Korea are basically love motels.  So basically people normally go to them to have sex. This was particularly obvious in the motel we had picked out for me, because on each floor there was a machine which resembled a cigarette machine of old, except that in these machines they were selling sex toys.  But I knew what this place was like to be like and it really didn't bother me, because it was well furnished and the bed was pretty decent.  PLUS it only cost about 30,000 won, which is like $30/£15 per night.

I met Matt in Sasang later in the evening, once he had gotten out of work and we just got some food (samgyupsal) and then we had a drink at the local coffee shop.  It was pretty sedate, but just what you want before you are to get on a plane the next day.  Then I headed back to my motel.

However the night did not simply end there as it should have, no it lasted much longer.  I had planned to go to bed at a reasonable time so that I could get plenty of sleep before my flight, however it seems that a mixture of the samgyupal not sitting well with me and the stress of knowing what was to come provided me with the trots.  So basically I was up for most of the night, before I finally bit the bullet and took a tablet.   I rekon I got just about 3-4 hours sleep in all before I had to set off in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment