Tuesday 10 January 2012

In America

I landed finally in Detroit on the 17th December and from there I went out to Ann Arbor, I stayed with a friend and her husband in a little apartament for a couple of days.  We did not really do all that much but that was mainly due to the fact that my friend was going through law exams for U of M.  Which I am led to believe are ridiculously difficult.  So most of the time with them was made up of getting up early, some catching up, but mainly it was some time for me to get over my jet lag.

The next place I stayed at was at my friend Ben.  He had stayed with me one night when he visited the UK.  So he was returning the favour, although he actually let me stay a few days, so I guess I owe him now.  Again I did not do a whole lot here, although we did go out each night after work and we had some pretty good discussions and some drinks of course.  A good friend of mine also turned up to take me out to buy some clothes.  I am not a fan of shopping by any means, but I did well in a matter of 20 minutes I was able to get two pairs of jeans and a new set of trainers.  Then we went out for Thai food.  Not too bad. 

Later that day I joined up with the same friend who took me out, Joe and we went out on a party bus.  Which is effectively just a bus with painted out windows and limo-like interior.  It all seemed alright. Then we were joined by Joe's friends, there were about 20 of them and I only knew one other personally and a further person over the internet only.  The first hour or so was pretty awkward and generally I did not get to know many of them at all.  However I did get to dance with some of the girls which was nice.  I made a concious choice not to get drunk, one - I hate hangovers, but two, which is more important there was no toilet on the bus.  No Toilet!  That sucks on anything that start with party and ends with a viechle.  But it's even worse in Michigan, because everything is so far apart, so the second bar was about 15 mins away from the first.  All in all it wasn't a terrible night out, but it wasn't quite my thing either.

Next up was Joe's and this takes us up to Christmas Eve.  I spent the next couple of days with Joe and his friends and family.  This was good. I had a good time a Joe's house and I was finally able to use a computer again after a week and a bit, since my computer packed up.

Next I moved onto Midland.  Which was about 2 hours and a bit away from downtown Detroit.  I was off to see my friend Jake, who I knew from Wayne State and had become closer to in Korea.  He drove down to the sort of Grosse Point area and picked me up, then took me back.  I really can't believe how far people are willing to drive in Michigan on a daily basis.  Up in Midland we basically spent the days playing a new game called the last night on earth.  It's a board game which is as tactical if not more so than risk.

For new year we went to a lame party and I spent most of the night wanting to punch a drunk son of a bitch who would not let up with a really crappy British accent.  It took every once of my inner control not to punch him right in the mouth.  So I walked away.

My last port of call was my friend Mik and Jo's place.  Here we hung out and I got to see some of my old friends.

Hmmm...I guess the story of my holiday in America really is nothing to write home about.  But any of you who have followed my blog up to this point will be aware that my last holiday super sucked!  So just having a time to relax and see old friends was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment